Saturday, August 15, 2009

Line dancing, a step into the afterworld.

Every Saturday night I watch this show called "St. Louis Country" which takes place in a bar/club in St louis, and hosts country music videos in between watching a huge floor of people line dancing. Actually, I don't really watch it, I have it on behind me so I can do my computer work without having on a real show that i'm tempted to be distracted by. But occasionally I need to take a break and I will give it a few minutes of my attention. Here's what I have discovered: People who line dance look bored as hell. If not, then they're the walking dead lol.
Back in the 70's, we use to do the original line dance ... the hustle! Now that was fun. You could change it up, shake your groove thang and get crazy with that one. But country line dancing? No way. Arms do not move while line dancing i've noticed, they hang/dangle at ones sides. There's no booty shaking, no smiling like they're having agreat time, and everyone looks like they're really thinking of what their gonna make for dinner tomorrow lol.
But the names of these dances actually sound like they offer the dancer a really good time ... givin' enough booze that is; The Cotton eyed Joe, Tush Push, Funky Ranch Slide and the Mardi Gras Mambo ... but watch 'em dance them lol. The movements/steps do NOT live up to the names, that's for sure. I'm thinking that country music, in a bar setting, puts the listener in a zombie-like trance rendering them powerless to fight the urge to stand amid several rows of people and move expressionless to the drawl and twang of country music. Uhhhh, no thanks. I can get that same kinda exercise walking from my desk to the bathroom thank you. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment