Monday, April 26, 2010

Another OCD? Oh no!

I watch that show "Hoarders" on A&E where they focus on people who stock pile tons (literally) of crap in their homes to the point that they can't even walk around. It really trips me out because I am the total opposite so I can't relate at all.
I started to wonder if there was a word for this so I enlisted Google to find out. As it turns out, i'm a "Minimalist" but ohhhh, it doesn't end there lol.

As a Minimalist, I apparently lead a simple life without the need or desire for lots of stuff. Is that so bad? Works for me.

I have enough summer clothes for 10 days, same with my winter clothes. I have one pair each of boots, sandals and sneakers. The only pictures I have are stored online. I have 2 plates, saucers, bowls and glasses, one coffee cup and a mug for work ... same with the silverware. I have 1 sheet, 2 pillow cases, a blanket and a comforter. I like my walls bare and I don't have any knick-nacks barring the 2 frogs on my desk. I keep 1 pencil and 2 pens. No pets to feed. One landline phone with voicemail so no answering machine needed. I get my books from the library so I don't have buy them only to have them collect dust. Same with DVD's. My music is all online or in my iPod, no CD's to store. ! lipstick and an eyebrow pencil. 3 towels and a bath sponge.

However lol ... some say in minimalist forums that is is a form of OCD. Rubbish! I could agree if I couldn't wait to get home to find things to throw away, or spent excessively just to end up getting rid of it. But that's not the case. I just don't waste money on things I don't need or know I will never use regularly. I wear clothes for 2 seasons then they're out of my closet because they're probably worn out by then. Why have books, knick-knacks, appliances that only collect dust? Why collect entire sets of towels when you only use the bath one? Same with dishes and sheet sets.

I dunno. People can call it what they want but it sure makes my life easier. If it's an OCD then so be it but at least I have the time to sit here and blog rather than cleaning/organizing/dusting my house lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment